Claiming Compensation for a Road Traffic Accident – Cheap Auto Insurance

Claiming Compensation for a Road Traffic Accident


If you’ve been involved in a road traffic accident within the last 3 years then you may be entitled to compensation. What some people don’t know is that compensation can be sought even if you weren’t the driver of a vehicle involved or an occupant of a vehicle altogether.

You are just as entitled to seek compensation for injury if you have been the victim of a hit and run incident as a pedestrian or if you were knocked off your bicycle whilst cycling on the road. With the aid of a solicitor, the process can be fairly straightforward. Here we’ll give you a number of things to consider before making your claim.

Immediately After the Incident

Depending on the extent of your injuries, try to obtain the details of the third party who was involved in the accident. The driver of the vehicle that was involved should provide you with their name and address as well as the details of their vehicle. If you can, be sure to take as many photographs as possible of the scene.

This is the time to notify the police if necessary. Consider the severity of the incident and whether the third parties involved have fled the scene. If in doubt, call the emergency services and ask their opinion. They’ll advise on whether they will send someone to assist or log your call within their system.

Are You Hurt?

It is always a good idea to seek medical assistance, even if you initially feel okay. If your accident resulted in a knock to the head, however small, then make your way to your nearest accident emergency department. If you don’t feel able to make it under your own steam, call an ambulance.

Symptoms often take a few days to surface so you may find that you need to make a visit later on down the line.

Notify Your Insurance Company

If you were the driver of a vehicle involved, notify your insurance company within 24 hours of the accident. They will handle the insurance claim on your behalf and coordinate the recovery and repair of your vehicle.

Approach an Accident Specialist

Whether a pedestrian or the occupant of a vehicle, a road traffic accident specialist will be advice to advice you on the likelihood of being able to claim compensation for your injuries and out of pocket expenses. Make sure you retain a list of all expenses incurred. Your medical records will be stored and obtainable in future if required to pursue the claim. Road traffic accidents lawyers in Yorkshire have a lot of experience in dealing with personal injury claims. If you live in the Yorkshire area, give one of them a call for a consultation.

How Much Compensation Will I Receive?

This question is always difficult to answer as it depends on the extent of your injuries. If you have suffered to the extent that you are unable to work, your claim for compensation could be worth a considerable amount. Your claims solicitor will be able to advise further.